View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

I think that, if you check sources such as Boddington's books, Carmichel's books, JOC's articles and Finn Aagaard, Harry Selby and others on African hunting, you will find that probably 10% rather than 90% of PHs, especially today use CRF bolt rifles, not double rifles. DRs are neat, but, most PHs are from farming African families and cannot afford them, also, ammo was impossible to obtain from the late '60s to recently while .458 Win. and wildcats on the H&H base case were/are easy to get and effective.

As to CRF, well, with well in excess of 100 big game rifles under my belt and 32 various rifles at present, I have and do use both. I vastly prefer a CRF Mauser type to ANYTHING else and I have breakactions, levers, autos and bolts as well as a pump slug gun.

The DRs are actually a CRF as the round IS held by the extractor/ejectors from the very instant you begin to chamber it, while a PF bolt is not. ALL of them CAN and WILL screw up and you CAN shortstroke and jam a Mauser, even a genuine, handfitted original Oberndorf....operator skill IS paramount, no question.

No slags intended, but, after shooting various DRS, combos, levers, ,autos, falling blocks, pumps, bolts and muzzleloaders, for serious stuff, I will ALWAYS take a P-64 Mod. 70 or a properly adjusted Brno, FN, HVA or original 98 pattern Mauser over any other rifle. YMMV.