Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Can't find anything about that.

First of all, biblical scholars agree NONE of the gospels were written within the life time of Jesus. In fact, most also question even who they were written by. If they were written by disciples, why in not in Aramaic, which was the language Jesus would have used. Especially since we are talking about people who in all likelihood were not literate... they were fishermen, right?

Peter wrote a gospel? Pray tell, where one would find it.
Absolutely right! However, they consider the writings to be accurate accounts, passed along through actual observers, who realized after the event that the accounts needed to be written down to prevent them from being lost or distorted. The individuals writing these accounts would be moved in the same spirit as the ones who wrote the Old Testament. Would this be impossible for God, to direct and move his creation to record these events? To believe it is impossible for Him would be to challenge His power, and makes one believe they are a god for themselves.

You present much factual material in your argument, but don’t provide full disclosure. Likewise I am often guilty of this same practice possible due to my own biases. For example, the Egyptian figures you presented in one of our earlier discussion, to show comparative births to Christ. You chose to omit that their births were not foretold thousands of years before their coming, and as “Saviors” they were not born for the purpose of removing sin once and for all from their people. In addition, these myths do not provide a transition for their people from Old to New, if you understand what I mean. These comparisons are extremely weak, as they might have only one or two things in common. However, I believe you were trying to use them to imply that the events of the birth of Christ were stolen from them.

There is surmounting information that defends the faith, even if you are objectionable to some of it being taken from the Internet. The Internet can be a good resource if there is reference given as to where the information has come from, so one might confirm its authenticity. After all is it not on the Internet we have chosen to present our beliefs and opinions from which our readers will form an opinion?

And in respect to your arguments about the Exodus not being proven. I recently read and article from an Egyptologist (I cannot remember his name at this moment) who likewise held the same opinion as you. However, in his closing statement he admitted that Egyptians were not likely to write about events that would bring them discredit, and the crossing of the Red Sea by Moses definitely would have been a blemish on their records, therefore being kept absent from their records.

In respect to the Fishermen, under what pretence can you conclude they were not literate? Such a comment would be somewhat prejudicial would it not? Should I concluded that all hunters are illiterate, simply because they hunt? I would like to believe that the Fishermen selected by Christ may have been lacking in knowledge, but what better way to become an intellect than to walk, learn, and listen to the Creator of the Universe. Hand picked, selected and learned for the purpose of God.

Last edited by 30Cal; 02-10-2012 at 12:13 AM.