Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Your burden of Historical proof seems a bit unrealistic regarding historical figures.
For example Tacitus "Annals of Imperial Rome" is one of the chief historical sources for the Roman world of of the New Testament period yet suprisingly it survives in only 2 manuscripts dating from the Middle ages yet we believe people mentioned in his writings were real and existed.

There are only 10 copies of Ceasars Gallic Wars eight copies of Herodotus History and seven copies of Plato all dated over a millenium from the originall and we dont question the historical accuracy of those documents or the people mentioned therin.

So in short i think we can agree Julius Ceasar existed and so did Jesus Christ.

If you want i can compare and contrast the evidence of the biblical manuscripts with that of the above mentioned historical documents Let me know if this would be of interest to you.
True...there are also coins with the image of Julius Caeser, graffiti with his name, busts, carvings, written egyptian and greek records, and his name carved into the many buildings and monuments he had built. There is absolutely no doubt that he existed, conquered large sections of Gall, and became the first emperor of rome. We even know what he looked like as a young man and the injuries he sustained at his murder. The surviving copies of his book are just that, copies of a book that he himself wrote. Quoting a wanted poster with a fairly common name of a man who committed a fairly common crime is a little weak in the evidence department, No? I am not saying I don't believe or do believe he existed. I am just saying for such a historical figure their is absolutely no proof that he existed at all.

Also the reason so little survives is that the church burned everything that did not support their views and pointed to the humanism or against the devinity of Christ.

Last edited by nof60; 02-10-2012 at 08:42 AM.