View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Gone Hunting

One thing I didn't consider and I suspect many others aren't considering is movement of the target over the time the bullet is in flight.

At 1100 yards it would take a 300 win mag bullet very close to one second to reach the target, after the bullet leaves the barrel. And maybe close to one and a half seconds from the time the shooter commits to pulling the trigger.

That means that an animal moving at five miles per hour could cover seven feet or more in the time the bullet is in flight.

Which is what I discovered when I tried it and it is one of the primary reasons I decided it wasn't for me. I was lucky, it was a clean miss. I saw the bullet hit behind the target but it was too close for comfort for me.

My target was walking slowly so I lead it by a foot but it could just as easily have been still as I pulled the trigger and then started to move while the bullet was in flight and the results would have been close to the same.

I make no judgement as to whether long range hunting is ethical or not.
No one knows everything there is to know and no one can plan for every possibility.
We are all in the same boat, we must use our best judgement and sometimes we will all miss the mark fo one reason or another.

I know my chances of making such a shot are slim. I can't know what the chances of any other shooter making the shot are.

There are differances in individuals abilities, in the equipment we each have,and in each situation so no one but the shooter can know what his or her chances are.

George Bernard Shaw