View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ What makes you think VZ is something good to own? It literally has done nothing in the last 5 years:

Apparently a lot longer, lol. Here it is vs SP500:

Unless there are some big plans on the horizon, this is probably one of the worst tickers to have in the portfolio. Sure, you will collect some pennies in the dividends. Good luck getting ahead.

What you want is growth. Who cares about 63 cents worth of dividends, really? Imo, it’s a waste because that money could actually be working somewhere. Something as simple as SPY would get you miles ahead (because it moves exactly like that black line on the graph above).

Investing into something only because it pays dividend is really missing out on real gains elsewhere.

I wouldn’t be diving into the other two at current prices either. Perhaps, would stay away from TRP completely, unless it dips quite a bit.

Edit: why didn’t you follow your own advice about investing in index and buy some SPY instead (or most of anything else, for that matter)?
Well the dividend is $2.51 per year, or 0.63 cents per quarter. So a 4.5% US return before growth. With a 4.5% dividend I dont need a stock to grow a ton to have a solid yearly return.

With regards to the chart you posted. That's exactly why I bought Verizon, its undervalued in comparison to the market. But if you look in 08 and now, cell phones have somewhat become recession proof. People will pay their cell bills before utilities. And at a time like this you want secure stock that won't lose value. So with the fact it's under valued AND they should have good earnings going forward. I think it's a good stock to hold. For me I see both TRP and VZ going to around $80 dollars within the next year or two, while paying a solid dividend. I'll take the growth+dividend payments. If I can return between 10-20% annually for the next 35 years, I won't have to worry about retirement. Very boring strategy, but it is what it is.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill