View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Deer aren't hard to kill? Not sure how many deer you have shot, but come on. Hit any animal with a small caliber rifle in the heart or lungs and yeah, they die easy. If you have made shots like this on all the animals you have taken, then good on ya for making clean shots everytime, but unfortunately this isn't a perfect world and the odd bad shot is made, and when one is made, deer don't die easy. Nor do elk, mooose, ect.... I very much agree that a small caliber gun is a more accurate gun in many hands as some can't handle the heavier recoil, and if you are one that can't handle the recoil then it is best to shoot something you can handle. If you are capable of shooting a magnum....why not. Sounds like most here only take broadside shots at 200 yds or so, and make a heart shot every time, but in the off chance you don't make that "perfect" shot a heavier chunk of lead at high velocities is gonna be far more beneficial.
I personally haven't shot alot of deer but I'll stand by my comment. Shoot a deer in the back leg with a .458 win mag and it isn't going to die quickly either. I think that alot of people buy a magnum with the idea that they can shoot through an animal from any angle, bashing through bone, muscle, everything to hit the vitals. I suspect that these are the same people who are overconfident with their shots (too far away or too much mass in the way of the vitals) and end up botching shots. I'll take a lower powered rifle that I can shoot well and know exactly where the bullet is going to hit (as far as is possible) with the self imposed restriction that I have to have a clear shot at the vitals than a howitzer that is going to wreck a huge pile of meat in the process.

A "beginner" should be a bit modest until he/she knows what is reasonable IMO. No need to get magnumitis as a crutch for a lack of attention to other aspects of hunting.

7mm-08 or something in that range will keep you perfectly happy for deer.