View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I see you conveniently never mentioned a few of the other mentioned leagues.

-Red Deer Collage (3 years), won the provincial collegiate championship and Coach of the Year;
-CIS (1 year), Won the University National Title and coach of the year;
-WHL (6 years), twice named West Coach of the Year;
-AHL (2 years), lead the team to a franchise high;
-NHL, Stanley cup, multiple SCF appearances, multiple Jack Adams nominations;
-World Junior gold;
-Two Olympic golds;
-World Cup of Hockey gold;
-Highest paid coach in NHL history; and,
-Only coach to have won the Stanley Cup, an Olympic gold medal, a World Cup, a World Championship, and a World Junior Championship.

I don't think he just got lucky with skilled teams. That's alot of luck over a 20 year run.
I'm more interested in what he's done lately as opposed to what he's done with Red Deer College.

I did mention the Olympics and World Cup. I would also have to say that winning the World Juniors with Canada (their fifth straight title), isn't exactly a monumental "against all odds" achievement.

Additionally, he joined the Wings at a time when they had made the playoffs for 15 straight seasons.

I'm not trying to say he isn't a legitimate NHL coach, because he obviously is. I've just never seen him as a coach that completely turns around franchises and gets everything out of a weak roster (I wasn't around to watch Red Deer College and U of L).

I can admit that I've been a little facetious, but the fact remains that he's getting paid $25 million to not coach the Toronto Maple Leafs.