View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Daryl S

Here's another one. Perhaps those who were posting to the 9.3x57 thread have moved to another board? anyway- this is for anyone interested in these fabulous rifles.

You can use any of the H4895 loads with Varget. With a new (different) rifle, I'd start at 44.0gr. Varget and go from there with the Speer 270gr. and 42.0gr. for the 285 or 286gr. bullets. I think you'll find the Varget to be just a bit slower burning, taking about 1gr. more than the H4895 loads to reach similar speeds. Some guys might start lower, but I'm not into wasting powder or bullets these days. The loads suggested will work fine.
My own 9.3x57 uses 45.0gr. H4895 with 300's as well as 285gr., and I use 48.5gr. H4895 with the Speer 270's. These loads were carefully developed for my rifle, with its particular chamber dimensions and using MY scales and methods of loading. Always reduce someone elses loads before attempting them. The loads noted did not produce maximum pressures in my rifle's chamber, however they produced excellent velocities, good enough for me.

I suggest you go back and read this entire thread. The 9.3x57's are a learning experience everyone should have. There are very few cartridges as good for all-round use in North America. It can be loaded for deer out to 350 yards, or out to 200 yards for moose or elk.

Daryl