View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Not to stray off topic (weight) but as far as budget goes,can a guy get a decent spotter on a budget of $500-ish,or if I increase that budget to <$1000,any top picks to recommend for lightweight,decent quality spotting scope that won't break the bank but a guy will be happy with for years to come?
I'm "kinda/sorta" gearing up for a mountain hunt(hopefully this year?) but realistically any scope I buy will see far more use summer scouting/scrutinizing WT and MD bucks.That said,if I can keep it liteweight and well suited for mountain hunting,all the better?
Also,just to add to that,I've never owned a spotting scope myself and have very limited experience looking thru those owned by buddies.Whats everybody's preference,pros/cons of angled eye piece vs straight eyepiece?Does one style offer any clear advantage in terms of eye fatigue or long session glassing comfort,or is it mainly just a matter of personal preference.
I personally like my swaro 20-60x65 in the mountains, and prefer a straight eyepiece. I find it is easier to acquire what you’re looking for, and when it is snowing or raining, moisture is less likely to find its way on your eyepiece. Due to the compactness and good quality, I’d seriously consider a Leupold compact spotter. Sure, and half pound or pound isn’t much, but it all adds up.....