View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I don't know if anyone has touched on this very important aspect of young people learning about firearms but here's what I'd like to add. It's a little story another member posted here once.
We were having a picnic on a beautifull day by the lake. Every once or awhile this Squirrell would come down a tree by the table and hang around to scavenge or get treats. It also made a lot of noice. After awhile, the noice the Squirrell was making irritated us enough so I went to truck, got a rifle and shot the Squirrell. No more noice. After about 45 min. we could hear tiny little squeaks and chattering. We looked up in the tree where this noice was comming from to see 3 tiny baby Squirrells wondering where Mom was cause they were hungry.
Yes saftey is paramount when teaching your children about firearms, but teaching them to be responsible in the way they use that firearm, and respecting the outdoors and nature in general, should be part of thier initial training. I hope a lot of kids going out on "safari" with thier new rifles hear about that Squirrell.
Good post