View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Regardless of bullet weight, what makes a rifle to be regarded as flat shooting is how fast you can get the bullet to the target. Simply stated, the faster the velocity the less time for gravity to perform it's magic on the projectile. When teaching Hunter Ed. I often asked the question, if I were to hold a bullet in the air at the same level as the barrel and drop it at the precise time a bullet fired were to exit the barrel, which bullet would drop faster and hit the ground first?
Answer of course, both bullets will drop at the same speed and hit the ground at the same time. Conclusion, the faster you get it there less the drop.
Not entirely correct.... the rifle actually shoots the bullet upwards into the line of sight.... now if barrel was level and ground was perfectly flat this would be true..... there is a physics simulator that demonstrates this concept.....

Another question is which will hit the ground first a .17 bullet or a 308 if both were dropped?... how about shot....under above conditions? Yet which is better for long distance shooting? Why....

There are many factors.... this would be initial velocity and retained velocity at distance.... the difference is defined as drag which takes into account all sorts of factors which is fudged into a number known as ballistic co-efficient that allows us to predict how fast bullet is going after a set distance based on initial velocity.

In the end for simplicity, best ballistic co-efficient is a good measure but again it depends on the launching parameters.... this would be powder charge (amount, type and burn rate and propellant gas production), twist rate, barrel length and rifle characteristics.

One can over think this or depending on size of animal and bullet you want to carry one can find a "flat" gun in any caliber.... whether it be 26 Nosler, &MM SW, 300 RUM, 338 Lapua.... etc. etc. etc.

This is what Roy Weatherby tried to answer and create.... and look how many calibers he made!...

stay away from a 30-30 and you will be fine....

For this same solution I chose a 300 WSM (Not a 300 RUM) but there were other considerations as well such as recoil and the fact I wanted A WSM.

243 is "flat" but a little light IMO on a 300 yard elk shot.....but many people prefer the lighter recoil and can shoot that better than a 320 Loudenboomer that shoots like a laser, kicks like a mule and pretty much butchers and dresses the game before you can walk the 1/2 mile to retrieve it....