View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
Ummmm... no... not really sure where you got that from. I DID hit a 6x6 ELK in the shoulder, and didn't recover him... but dropped the next bull I shot a couple weeks later
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagevalleyoutdoors View Post
i can't stress my opinion enough - on moose sized game, they get almost no penetration, and if you hit bone, they almost stop dead. Two years ago i finally got my prairie moose draw, and after three wounded bulls (all three i hit exactly where i was aiming and less than 40 yard shots), i switched out to my tried and true montecs and got my bull the following week. I might have hit the shoulder blade with one of the shots, but definitely not with the other two. I think i got unlucky and hit ribs with the other two shots - either way, the arrows stopped - and one shot it actually "bounced" back.
I'm an outfitter, and a couple years ago had a guy up who killed a mule deer with a perfectly placed shot with a toxic broad head. He said they were great for whitetails back home, so maybe the problem was with the thicker bones on the bulls i hit - i don't know. All i can say is that i would rather stick with simple, one-piece broadheads. I can't say enough about montecs.