View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
he wakled 10 yards fast and drop dead, right after i shot and watched him walk 10 yrds to the treeline i began to walk the 70 yrds
to where he fell over and he was stone dead , took me a minute to walk to him, i belive the hydrostatic shock had 95% to do with his quick expiry , he was hit in the middle of the lungs height wise fyi....
If it really was hydrostatic shock rather than bleeding out that killed him, he would have dropped instantly, and he would not have walked those ten yards.

Quote:
Now why would you want to do that? Of course you still have to use the right tool to do the job. I've used Nosler BTs for deer and for moose........165gr for deer and 180gr for moose and this year I'm going to hunt my deer with 140gr BTs from a 7-08. I'm quite confident that the rapid expansion of those bullets would be highly effective going through bone of either animal.

If you meant a light bullet that, IMO isn't meant to do the job, not providing enough penetration then yeah, you'd be correct.

Exactly my point, a 130gr TSX/TTSX works excellent on elk and moose, and will easily penetrate a shoulder that the 130gr Ballistic Tip won't penetrate. The 130grain Ballistic Point is designed for rapid expansion, and it sacrifices penetration as a result. The TSX/TTSX in the same weight still expands adequately, but it offers a great deal more penetration. Bullet construction is more of a factor than bullet weight.

Quote:
well of course it would make a difference,lol a 388 grain arrow at 340 fps creates 98 ft/lbs of energy, so that extra 60-150 ft/lbs would make that much of a difference, its like getting hit with that bullet and then an arrow to follow, that's gotta make some kind of difference i would think, imo
That comparison is as meaningless as it gets. A broadhead doesn't need a great amount of energy because it's sharp blades slice easily through the tissue. On the other hand, the expanding bullet is blunt, and it takes a great deal of energy to force it through the energy. By the way, I doubt that shooting a broadhead through the wound channel that a bullet had just created would be very beneficial as far as killing the animal is concerned.