Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Awww. You hurt my feelings.

It is unfortunate that some people don't want to look into things any deeper than a superficial, anecdotal glance. Issues surrounding sheep are diverse and multilayered. What I observe on the surface may or may not be as simple as it seems. That is why it is of benefit to look into the body of research from the myriad of other people who have had those same questions and by the process of rigorous scientific investigation have tried to define the answers. It would be extremely naive of me to think that I was the first to observe certain events or postulate on their causes and effects. It would be foolish of me to haughtily dismiss the body of scientific knowledge that has been amassed on the reference subject. It would be prudent of me to measure the knowledge gleaned from the scientific community against my own observations for similarities and contradictions.

SG, put aside the victim act and maybe, just maybe, there would be room for some fruitful discussion.
Its fine Vin sure there are a bunch of studies on a couple isolated herds. It does show how them herds are effected. But would these studies change if you added hunting into the mix? Of course.

You have your ideas I have mine you can follow all your syudies and beleive what you wish. Sheep in different areas travel different, feed different, in general may act a little different. If you dont do a study on the mass majority of areas your gunna have a biased study based on a small portion of the big picture. It shows a generalized assumption but every area is its own population. To say every herd has the same issues to the same extent is wrong. Some herds live in areas with lots of bush. Some with no bush. Do you think predator deaths is the same in both? I really doubt it.
Some areas have high hunter pressure some have none(the study areas you keep bringing up have none). Some have influence from sanctuaries and parks, some are strictly resident herds. Your studies do show some fact but does not cover all different situations Alberta bighorns face.