View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
How many of you guys switch out your treble hooks for singles on spoons and plug? I have done a few hooks in the past and they work fine.
I'm sick of battling with the trebles in the net, as well as the damage they can do to the fish. I don't understand why lure makes don't put singles on in the first place. I just ordered a hundred pk of hooks and intend to swap all my lures over to singles.
I don't switch them out on plugs, but I do switch them out on spoons and spinners, especially in my "bank box". Unhooking a squirrely pike can be tough at any point, but when one is waste deep in water and trying not to dunk their reel the single hook makes a big difference.

On hookups, I think there are days where I get a higher hooking percentage with trebles. That said, I think I get more solid hookups with the single hook and land a higher percentage of fish that I hook. Especially if one likes to flatten their barbs, the larger size and deeper bend of a larger single hook makes it harder for the fish to throw verses the smaller treble.