View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
As I said in the post you quoted handling was a big issue with the big pike especially with the people that needed to get a weight, pictures, lengths etc. It barely affected the younger population because the lake was overrun with them. The lake handled that mortality for years, it wasn't until the walleye were stocked and the fish were visibly starving(which is why I contacted the bio...) that it cratered. C&R mortality during that time was much higher, the fish wouldn't even put up a fight and then lots of them would just float away... That is why I stopped fishing the lake...

You obviously don't know any of the details as to what happened at Wabamun and I would advise you do some research on here before jumping to conclusions and incorrectly placing blame on myself and many of this forums other members...
Rav, I'm curious to know what your observations were on this, i.e. what year did you start seeing the pike crash and when did you stop fishing Wab? I ask as a fisherman who is on the lake about every other weekend in the summer (I'll fish from our dock from time to time) and quite honestly haven't noticed the starving or sickly jack that others on this forum have spoken about. However, I have noticed the number of fish that I'm catching go down, but quality is consistent with 3-4 years ago

Granted, I'm maybe catching 2-3 fish in the hour or so that I'm casting, so my sample size is vastly smaller than most others. I would say I'm catching 10:1 pike vs. walleye from the dock. Flip that ratio when out in open water on the boat though, when I can't keep the walleye off the hook