View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I used to be in favor of slot sizes, but revised my thinking.

The problem is the accidental kill ratio that occurs with many species, especially walleye. If the fish is too deep and brought up, its air bladder will expand. That's a great way to kill most of them, even if released.

I've gone to the concept that it's better to keep the first 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever the limit is that you catch, size be damned. You are going to save a lot more of the 'breeders' that way. You won't be hauling as many fish in, but you won't be killing as many either, and you get to keep them and eat them.

I'd love to hear from a biologist on this.
I'm not a Bio and I would like to agree with that approach. However, I think most anglers would just keep the largest and release the smaller ones in any event... a practice that's been going on forever. That is counter-productive to retaining the desired year classes, which necessitates the current slot limits. Banning natural baits altogether would go a major long way to improving the mortality rates on released fish... the fewer fish caught and released .. the more fish survive.