View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 03:13 AM

Well thanx for the enlightenment Cam.

So your telling me that the silver truck (I think its a Ford) I so often see sitting on Edmonton Trail (south of Mcknight) with a radar on the dash doesn't have a cop inside looking after it?
Hmm, could you tell me who that feller is thats reading the paper, drinking coffee and eating donuts. I'm almost positive I can see a badge pinned to his shirt. The next time I see him there I'll slow down and take a closer look.
Quote:
I'm not starting a flame war, but it is clear you have little actual fact of what my duties entail during a shift.
I think you are wrong Cam, I actually have a couple of friends who are police officers and they've told me some real horror stories. As a matter of fact I wouldn't want your job because of what you guys do have to deal with. I worked for City Parks for quite some time. I was stationed in the downtown core (I think that says it all) a couple of summers and I know all to well what goes on. Many times I had to call in the police, or Hazmat, or both, to help us deal with the homeless people, prostitutes, dead bodies, stabbings, muggings, bodily fluids, blood, needles, you know all those nice things that happen in our parks too.

Anyrate, whats your duties or my duties have to do with photo radars? I know our cops and EMS are the unsung heros. I don't deny that!

Oh, and I'm not making assumptions, I'm stating my opinion just like you have done. I know what I see in my travels throughout the city and a police officer sitting in a truck, with a photo radar on the dash, reading the paper, in my opinion is one example of a waste of tax payers money. I just think there are more important things for our police to do, like catching the bad guys. And its still my opinion, photo radar is nothing but a cash cow no matter where its located. As far as it being a deterrent not to speed, show me the facts and figures on that and I'll believe it.
The cameras are still flashing, drivers are getting tickets, so is it a deterrent or is it a cow? I think cops who personally catch a driver speeding is more of a deterrent not to speed because it adds demerits to your license and jacks up the price of his or her insurance for 3 years. Now thats a deterrent. Of course you can't read the paper, drink coffee and write tickets at the same time.

Your probably wondering, resentful driver? .... No, but I will tell. I have received 2 photo radars in my life. One was barely over the speed limit by 3 kms but I wrote out cheques for both of them. Cost you more to fight it...
With that said, I would rather take the money and give it to a homeless person on the street than pay it to the courts.

Last edited by Tuc; 12-22-2008 at 03:19 AM.