View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
AER asked for input until early March 2017, the Regs. must have been finalized and into printers by that date. Sad really, they did not want any input it would seem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
This seemed funny to me as well. I did that survey only 2 weeks ago. I would think the regs would have gone to print well before then, which would mean they had already made up there minds with what was happening at that lake. So what was the point of the survey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Probably two reasons. One being that if there were was ever a backlash to the change and the survey supported the decision to remove walleye then they could say that anglers agreed with the changes prior to being made.

Second reason was probably just to gauge what people thought about the change.

Most likely the change was already planned although they didn't make all the changes proposed in those most recent surveys so maybe they did take them into account.
This is probably the largest issue revealed in the new regulations.

Ignore it and face the loss of stakeholder input for a LONG time....

There is no question that this survey was produced AFTER the regulations were sent to committee for approval. Those that took the survey were Trolled!

Rav,

Your explanations, while possible, are indicative of an autocratic system, which may actually be functioning outside of the law. There is a legal obligation for the government to consult with the people of Alberta. Using post-mortem surveys will not satisfy a judicial review of the government's consultation obligation. I don't doubt at all that this WAS an attempt to fill the requirement, but one that in all likelihood would not stand up in court. Someone at F&W dropped the can, worms everywhere.

As importantly, why is F&W spending critically endangered funds for a survey that
is irrelevant?

Someone should look very deep into this situation with the surveys.
Pressure from the stakeholders to get the consultation process horse first is necessary for real pubic input to exist in any future management decisions.

Bitch all you want here, spend your nickel, but if the recreational fishing community doesn't get F&W in order regarding consultation, it is all pointless.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."