View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
True regarding cell phones and cars. The only thing is that I do use the car and the phone every day. I do use the digital camera maybe once or twice a year.... It is just too bulky to carry around versus the compact iPhone.
And I’m pretty sure that the iPhone has more pixels than my CAmera. Lol!
Plus, there are 30 year old cars and pickups still in use. There's even a few a lot older then that.

Yet I have six working computers sitting on a shelf in my basement because they can not run the latest and greatest software, the old software can not be updated, and no one will sell parts for those older computers or provide drivers so older peripherals can be used on the latest and greatest.

Just last week I was forced to retire yet another computer in working order, because most of it's software licenses were about to expire and they could not be renewed plus no new software would load on it. I could download updates but they wouldn't load.

And this new computer is driving me crazy. Nothing works like the old computers I've owned, it dictates to me how I can use every function, it limits what I can do, to the point that it would not allow me to run my printers install disk and microsoft offered no help whatsoever.

And that's only the beginning of the issues I've struggled with for the past four days.

I've never bought a car or truck that I couldn't just get in and turn the key and drive away.

I studied radio electronics in school. I had my own radio repair shop for a time. I've owned computers since the Apple 11E hit the market.

I've designed and built electronics circuits. I know what circuit board components cost and how long they can last. It galls me to have to spend $1,000 on electronics that I know cost no more then $100 to build.
And it galls me to retire electronic that I know should be able to run fine for another 100 years

I have a Canon XSI, it works but it's badly outdated. For me the learning curve on the new camera's is too steep and the price too high.

One positive thing, my old camera will run the new lenses and it can be restored, for 3/4 the cost of a new camera.
Then, as someone said, I will have a camera that will do half what my smart phone's camera will do.

Where is the value for the money. How does one justify charging well over $1,000 for a camera that cost maybe $90 dollars to build and that everyone knows will be outdated in less then one year?

That is what I'd like to know.

George Bernard Shaw