View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Your right as far as point and shoots go...they're dead.
But for example, the newly introduced 'Z' series Nikon...over $3K each. Not going to be available til November. Within a day of them being introduced we had 40 preordered.
Serious hobbyists (as well as pros of course) are still buying like there's no tomorrow.
Another thing that has really changed is how much hobbyists are willing to pay now. For example, the 300mm F2.8 lens. Primarily a sports and pro lens. At about $7000 each we used to sell a couple a year to newspapers, and freelance sports photographers. Now we sell that many a month, the vast majority going to hobbyists.
When you are out and about it looks like the camera is dead because of all the phones you see at events...but these are being used by people who in the past would have been using an Instamatic or...not taking pictures at all.
Yea, when we were in Kenya this spring, I was shocked at how many people were just using ipad and phones on the Safari's. You spent that much money to be there and your pictures are going to suck if you want to print them. wow! I was packing two 26# camera bags onto the plane for this trip(one of my daughters was a plane boarding pack mule for me)