View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Thing is, the number of pixels is not all that matters.
Your camera, because it has a much bigger sensor, may have fewer pixels, but the size of the individual pixels is much larger.
The number of pixels determines resolution...how sharp the photo looks.
Pixel-well size (the individual pixels) determines noise, meaning low light capability and color gamut.
So...if your phone and your camera both have 20mp (for example), under good lighting conditions the photos will look similar...but go into a low light situation and the phone falls apart compared to the camera.
Look at it this way...8x25 and 8x42 binoculars. Middle of the day...ones as good as the other. Dusk or dawn...which do you want.
The other thing is color gamut. The phone will record hundreds of thousands of different shades of a color...the camera, millions.
If your only going to look at the images on a phone or computer screen it's a moot point. But make a high quality print and you will see the difference...many more shade of each color become apparent with the photo from the camera.
So...family snaps and such...even I use my phone. But when I go on vacation and think I may be taking photos I'll want to enlarge and frame...the camera wins hands down.
End of photo course
This is a great write up, thanks for that, do you have any knowledge of the nikon p1000 that you could share?, and what is your expert opinion on the camera?

I have seen some amazing video taken with these things and i am tempted to pick one up...

Thanks in advance, the knowledge is truly appreciated.