View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Default Hunting dog First Aid kit

I've been thinking about improving and adding to my first aid kit to support my dog in the field.

I already carry gauze, vet wrap, and that's about it.

I'm considering purchasing a kit. This one looked complete. https://www.gundogsupply.com/ready-d...t-aid-kit.html

I'm thinking one larger it for the truck and a smaller one for my pack/game vest.

I'm thinking the field one should have lots of gauze and vet wrap, disinfectant, tape, side cutter, small scissors, eye wash, muzzle, tweezers, aspirin, benedryll, honey packets... What else and why?

The truck kit. Larger bottles of disenfectant, syringes, towels, gauze.

What issues have you run into in hunting with dogs in Alberta? I'm thinking about cuts from wire, punctures, abrasions, stuff getting in eyes, heat and cold issues, bee/wasp stings, porcupine encounters, fights with other dogs/animals.

Other than talking to my vet, what courses or training do you know of to support canine health/trauma care/minor injury care?

Should a waterfowling kit be different from an upland kit? In hunting in the southern US people carried Benadryl for snakebite first aid. In parts of Alberta we should think of that too. I'm going to add to this thread as I find info online.

I've never had a major issue in the field. Years ago my Dad borrowed our lab to a friend. She chased a pheasant into another field and came across poison that had been put out for coyote control. Despite vet care we lost her the next day. I've never borrowed any of my dogs to anyone and never will.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences.