View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 11:16 AM

As a responsible pet owner, my dog is never left unattended outside, I have a moral obligation to provide a safe home, and when we are outdoors make sure that she does not chase livestock, etc. She is curious by nature, as most dogs are. We do hunt squirrels together though.

I live in the country, surrounded by farmers, and I can tell you that dogs that run, wild or with other dogs do get shot, or shot at (not by me). It has never happened to mine, as I would never have, or will put them in that situation. My neighbour came to me one day in a real alarm, as his dogs had come home after a jaunt around the country side, one was was injured quite bad, a female mixed breed large dog. It was first thought by the neighbour that she was attacked by a cougar, as they have frequented that area before. I circled my property as-well as his, could find no cougar tracks leading to or away in the snow, etc.

When he returned from the vet, he had said that his dog had been shot with a rifle, she survived. I had previously told my neighbour in the past that I had seen their dogs roaming around on several occasions. I have never seen them chasing wildlife or stock though. Please ensure your dogs are safe and looked after, I would never wish anyones dogs to end up like my neighbours did. Pets should never have to suffer for irresponsible owners actions, or lack of, for that matter. Dont let your dogs chase game animlas, or domestic animals !!