View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Banned

Default Where????

My brother and I have been trying to find information on where wild boar are to hunt.

So far what I have found is that by going on the alberta association of municipal districts and counties -http://www.aamdc.com/ - you can find contact information. Most county offices will tell you how many wild boar bounties have been claimed and when. If you get the right person, they will even tell you the general area that they have been a sighted and shot. They are considered a pest and the bounty is to help solve a problem or potential problem so most inquires are seen as positive. Some times they refer you to the F&G guys.

From my checking/calling - 50 bounties have been claimed in the Two Hills area. The other area is Manning or more specifically Deadwood - the F&G guy said go to shoot first, ask questions later. They have had 20 bounties collected. Said to shoot and then call him to meet up and fill out the paper work. (Not that the bounty is of most of our concerns, but the info will help them and I guess indirectly us.)

Also he indicated that during the summer they have lots of vegetation and don't bother the farmers then. Also quite hard to track or spot. Said the best time was winter time when they get hungry and can't hide as well.

Another source of mine has said that they are a real nuisance around silage pits - the smell, heat and food brings them in. Though the only problem is that once they have been shot at, they turn nocturnal and only come at night. Any large storage of hay near fence lines and patches of bush but away from the road, are good spots as well.