View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just because I'm a mod, doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.

Mine is that there are two big issues that cause bad blood...

1) APOS is the worst industry ambassador imaginable due to the seeming "turn-a-blind-eye" approach to outfitters/guides who break the law.

2) Albertans should not have to apply for tags that non-residents can purchase through an outfitter.

Beyond that, outfitters are just regular Albertans trying to make a living no different than any of us.

Tork, you seem to carry the torch for your peers. Care to give us your thoughts on both the above points?
Having a different opinion is fine, spreading lies and false truths is where my problem lies.
Believing Outfitters shouldn’t have access to draw tags is your opinion, I believe the hard and fast 10% rule per WMU should be applied. Those are our opinions and we can discuss those maturely and learn from each other.
Claiming Outfitters are paying landowners for access, exchanging allocations and doing everything they can to prohibit residents from hunting are accusations of criminal activity. I’m not saying it hasn’t happened, or even that is doesn’t happen, but those are bad seeds who break the law, just like bad seed residents who break the law.

So I touched on your first question a bit. I think quota should be set at 10% of the residents harvest level. Ie. 10% of a certain species set aside in each WMU for non residents to hunt through outfitters. It’s a wonderful industry, it utilizes a renewable resource, and it brings funds in from outside the country.

To answer your first question regarding APOS, I’m not a member anymore so here it goes. I think APOS and the entire Outfitting industry in Alberta is flawed. Having multiple outfitters in one WMU is a terrible system. Also not allowing Outfitters to manage game within their territories is counter productive. I think APOS should be an advocate for the Outfitters they represent, not a governing body.
As for APOS handing out discipline to Outfitters that break the law, I don’t think they should have any part in it. If an Outfitter breaks the law it should be treated like any other crime. First offences should be fines, but if it continues why would the government wait for APOS to hand out a second punishment? The court should have the power to pull allocations and prohibit Outfitters from operating.
That’s not going to happen as long as APOS holds the power they do.

That’s the way I see it anyway. In BC I’m controlled by the government and advocated for by the GOABC. But if I step out of line the Government shuts me down. Don’t see why that wouldn’t work in Alberta