View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 07:21 PM

I don't agree with poaching but some people play within the law and think they are saints (btw, I'm not Asian in case you wonder LOL).

we all know that a good percentage of C & R fish will die due to stress/injuries caused when they were caught.

Let say the famous poacher killed 2 undersized pike breaking the law while somebody else killed more by C & R (the fish died due to injuries and stress)?

And these things could happen in a place where the fish is not recommended for eating like NSR.

Of course, we have a better chance protecting fish populations in the long term by following the law but as individual it does not make you a saint compared to the poacher.

Some stuff is actually confusing to me. The barbless hooks is very confusing. Its illegal to use them but they are allowed to be sold without any warning on the stores that you must fix them on your own. If you dont read the regulations or visit forums like this you are in trouble.

Then the stocking program. Man when I tell my Mom that the government and conservation groups put fish in ponds for people to catch them she cant understand it.

The fish put on the ponds are very small and not allow to grow in the pond due to fishing, winter kill, sterile fish, ect. I feel like I'm poaching. Again, now I understand these fish are stock to reduce pressure to wild/native fish populations but still it does not feel right LOL.

As a new canadian and new sportfisherman, all this concept is new to me. I try to learn as much as I can and share the info with my kids and new canadians friends too. You have no idea how much ignorance is out there. As a new Canadian, I know a good chunk of new Canadian fishermen with no idea on the regulations.

Again, I hate poachers but some improvements in the system need to happen to reduce poaching.

I apologize if some of my concepts are incorrect.