View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Beeguy- welcome to the forum. I have to say I have had the same feelings you expressed quite thoughtfully in your post, as I also have little experience fishing Alberta water. What I have come to better understand is the immense fishing pressure that many water's in Alberta experience. This, coupled with a seemingly vast number of anglers with no regard for the regulations and an obvious lack in available enforcement, fuels the attitudes you will see on this board. One thing that really opened my eyes to the extreme fishing pressure in Alberta is many of the stocked trout water. I have never in my life experienced a trout fishery managed for "put and take" that was actually fished out by the end of the season, and it seems like that is a common occurrence across the province.
Tyree, it's unfortunate that you have to see the ugly side of Alberta through this forum. If I didn't live here, I'd probably think exactly what you think. But what you're seeing is a very small percentage of very loud people.

There are varying degrees of fishing pressure across Alberta, but I wouldn't categorize it as extreme. Some trout ponds/lakes can be fished out, but there are plenty of options for Albertans and many lakes will hold fish throughout the winter.

As for poaching, it's definately an issue, but is it a bigger problem than what the rest of Canada experiences? I'm not so sure.

The racism on the board is sometimes subtle and sometimes very blatant. The subtle ones like to state they are using a "description", but what purpose does the description serve? This is a forum, not F&W. Also, it's typically a 1 word description and it's enough, because what else matters?

Anyhow, my experience on the water is actually very different than what this forum would suggest. Fishing in Alberta is fantastic and almost everyone I run into is extremely friendly. It's too bad that a small percentage of very loud and ignorant people have figured out how to use the Internet.