View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcommander View Post
Thanx a lot for posting this information. Just tried my camera in the water and lost the signal immediately in the water. Rookie! Where did you get the wire?

Likely too late, but I got the antenna wire at MRO. They specialize in radio and electronics. Their not the cheapest place to buy things, yet I haven’t compared them to anyone else in AB.
https://www.mroelectronics.com

Personally I found my GoPro didn’t do that great underwater with anything but bright light. Not much does, but it’s a bit worse than my B&W Marcum and Aqua-vu.

Yet if you have a GoPro 4 or higher with the ProTune it looks like it’s much better for underwater. There’s tons and tons of videos explaining the best settings, and I recommend watching some. The best resolution and highest frame rate isn’t always the best. Specifically frame rate. Higher frame rates equal shorter capture time and that can often equal lower exposure, meaning less light.

What I found what worked best for using the GoPro, was to attach it to my Marcum camera. I picked it up for $150 I think a couple years ago, and with both cameras pointed the same way, I can record in color, and view in real time, without lag.

Lag is a real issue with wifi. Above or underwater, a GoPro with wifi can delay (lag) the video by a few seconds. That’s not very effective for a fish camera, I found.

I spent quite a bit of money getting hdmi adapters and low profile, right angle USB mini adapters. Then on Glands to install in the dive housing to run the cables through and keep it waterproof. Yet in the end I never bothered trying to make it all work. A Marcum or Aqua-Vu are nice and portable and attaching the GoPro to it was the easiest and cheapest way to go.