View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 PM

I’ve used several.

I had a decent experience with the orange bottle tanning a couple beaver, however they’ve just been hangers. The biggest issue with beaver hides is they need to be thinned for garment use. Quite frankly I would put mitts into this category.

I would guess that 1% of home tanners have a hide thinner, so unless if commercially tanned you are pushing you’re luck to make mitts.
I’ve brained tanned beaver as well. I’ve made mitts that I consider very good, but have been selective of the “best of the batch” hides I’ve tanned. I don’t have a thinner, so to do yourself is a chore.

All that being said, its rewarding if you make yourself from start to finish. I have no desire to do so for commercial sale. If I was looking for hide for someone to make for me I would look to commercially tanned hide. If you want to do pursue yourself from start to finish then I would consider researching brain tanning first, and orange bottle second.

When I think of “make myself” I think traditional, so would do some research on traditional methods.