Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmum View Post
Why don't you follow instructions? The 10 Commandments were written with God's finger for all of us. Oh, it's because none of us are perfect. We all sin and disobey God. Unless of course you scored higher on a religious quiz.
Which 10? Seems to be a difference. Exodus 20 or 34?????

First Tables of Stone (Exodus 20)
("which Moses didst break")
1. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me.
Second Tables of Stone (Exodus 34)
("the words that were on the first")
1. Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).

2. You shall not make for yourself a graven image. You shall not bow down to them or serve them.
2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

4. All the first-born are mine.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
5. Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.
6. You shall not kill.
6. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread.
8. You shall not steal.
8. The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.
10. You shall not covet.
10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.
BTW, what was the scene where Moses got those tablets? Mount Sinai? Or maybe Mount Horeb as indicated be Kings 8:9, Chronicles 5:10 and Malachi 4:4?

And I already am aware of the argument that the two names refer to the same place. Why sow confusion then?

Quote:
Ok, so you see, we have different worldviews

I used to be bitter and angry towards people and their "religion" too.
Not bitter at all. If your faith guides you to do good and gives you some spiritual uplifting, hair on you.

Just don't use it to denigrate others who may not be of the same faith/sect, religion or those who may be of no faith. It is YOUR spiritual journey, not everyone else's.

Quote:
Believing what other people told me to believe.
And now you believe what other people tell you on how you should interpret old script? Or that old script speaks to you in some way?

Either way, it is still someone or thing telling you how to believe

Quote:
...Scared me. I wasn’t invincible. And I began to question my existence and of course, what happens after death?
Been there, and I emphasize. An acquaintance brought their pastor in, and he asked if he could lead me in prayer.

I told him no, I'll have my own spiritual guidance, and didn't want it influenced. I was later told that the pastor said that was the first time anyone ever turned down a request for prayer.

I thought it was damn presumptuous of both of them to think I needed someone's belief to intervene when they both knew my religious beliefs were not theirs. I mean, would you want a Imman coming to your bedside to lead a prayer?

Quote:
Then I actually read the Bible, after years of scoffing, and it’s amazing what’s in there!
Don't you just love all that hating and killing and slavery and incest and multiple marriage going on? Amazing shiite, isn't it. Good teachings too!

Quote:
It’s interesting how most people wouldn’t marry their spouse just so they can live in their house, but for a lifelong relationship... and yet when it comes to the end of your life, you want to be able to go to heaven to live in God’s house without ever having a relationship with him? God isn’t here for when it suits you. You are here because He created you. And how can you even talk about Heaven or Hell if you don’t believe in God?
YOUR faith is YOUR path to the afterlife.

Anyone else's belief system is theirs. We really won't know will we, until we pass on. Up till then, one can only go on one's faith.

If it works for you, great. Again, don't denigrate those who may have a different viewpoint. Which includes Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists, Shintoists, Deists and others. Their faith has as much validity as yours. Theirs is right for them, yours is right for you.