View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Fordtruckin,

Does either the Skidoo 550 or the Polaris version have a 2 speed transmission so you can go to low range when you need to pull something heavy?

How is the track system set up. Is it sliders or boggie wheels?

It was Yamaha that started the cantilever rear rail system back in the early 90's with the VK540. It is Boogie wheels, which is superior for track suspension over simply static sliders.

Having wrestled with too many stuck sleds in deep snow where the rear just digs deeper instead of backs out at an angle, any utility sled has to have this system. Most big paddle mountain machines do not have this feature, and you really can only go forward because of it.

I don't own Yamaha shares, and make no money on the endorsement. I'm just saying look real hard at this machine as a choice.

Few guys part with them, which is the problem.

Drewski
Skidoo expedition skandik and tundra all have the SC-5U articulated rail that pivots on or around a bogie wheel. You can lock the rail flat as well when needed. The 550f is only available in certain models and not with the 2 speed transmission. For that option you need the etech or ACE engine models.

The Polaris voyager and titan have the articulated rail which looks a similar design to the Skidoo. The 550 fan is only available in the voyager and I don’t think they have a 2 speed transmission option but I’m not as familiar with the Titan.

I agree with the articulated rail. I’ve never used one but I’ve ridden enough mountain sleds without it that I know reverse is good on trail or for unloading. If you get stuck in the powder and try to reverse you get about 8” and it starts to dig. Pretty much your better off lifting the tunnel over to a side and then roll the sled on one ski and crawl it out of your able too. If not you can roll the sled over to fresh snow or pack it down around the tunnel in front of the sled and either have someone pull on a ski to walk it out or stand at the back of the running boards, pin it and rock the sled back and forth. You’ll know pretty quick if the last method will work.

I have no experience with the VK and the only issue I take with it is they need an update on the seat.

From my sled experience there is always a ton of mountain sleds for sale, a few trail sleds and pretty much never any utility sleds. Again I agree people buy them and keep them. Amazing that they are still the top selling segment of snowmobiles.

If going new for my needs, would buy a new or a hold over expedition sport gen 4 900 ACE. I have no real need for a 2 speed transmission as the only thing I would tow is a medium size otter sled for ice fishing hunting or firewood.