View Single Post
Old 04-19-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There are sooooooo many factors that determine how many acres per hour either machine will do but we are 100% sure a commercial unit will do the job a multiple times faster compared to a skid steer unit.

We did roughly 40 acres with a skid steer/mulcher and it took 4 long hard days (10-12 hours) - ground was relatively flat, nothing bigger than the 3"-4" as mentioned and some thick and some sparse areas - so maybe an acre an hour might be roughly correct (my thoughts anyways).

The spring after we did a similar sized area, similar conditions and had a mulcher unit in and it was less than a full days work - maybe 5-6 hours if I recall correctly - so I'd say they are roughly 5-6 times faster????

Anyways - just my 2 cents.

Again, this was one specific job although I've used the skid steer units quite a bit. If most of it is small saplings and shrubs a skid steer can easily do an acre an hour. The key is to keep the drum from stalling on bigger stuff which slows you down. Also, if you have a dense area of even medium sized 2" stuff that's packed tight, that's also a pain in the butt without a big drum unit.
I agree. Light saplings a buggy or loader can clear quickly, then disc it. In conditions where a mulcher is needed is the type of conditions you are describing in the later part of your post. Especially over more than a whole section. I am picturing bush. Even if it is 3-4" there are more than a few 8" in there too I'd bet. I've worked for a couple guys with mulcher heads on 297 Cats and once they start hitting dense or heavy timber production falls off a cliff.