View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Sorry, fresh out of bed and I accidentally posted the boot and leg channel bit backwards. The hybrid pads are more flexible in the boot and will hug the skate a bit tighter.

If moving into hybrid pads continues to be an issue, boot risers are always an option, as are adjustments with the toe ties and boot straps (allows the pad to rotate more contacting the ice). I wear Bauer Reactor 4000 pads and for toe ties I run toehooks attached to the skate with laces running an inch of slack, and my boot strap is very loose. Step steel blades can help get more height on the skate, but for somebody who is still progressing through the ranks probably wouldn't be a great option as they aren't allowed in higher levels. I have to use them myself as I was having an issue with skates blowouts with my Reebok skates (they seem to have less height and a shallower attack angle than Bauer). If you're looking to get into hybrid style pads the Bauer Reactor (or Rx predecessor) and Vaughn Velocity are also worth checking out.

Last edited by Nova; 01-07-2014 at 04:00 PM.