View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Redfrog;1700486]It will get worse before it gets better.
I live in an area with not many people and every year there are more and more hunters in this area.

At one time the guys driving around the small patches of bush were locals. They do it because their daddy and grand dad did it. Not so much anymore. NOw 'visiting' hunters see tracks and take that as an invitation.

I try to talk to anyone i see hunting, maybe point them in the right direction or help them find a landowner etc., but i have to say the number of slobs is increasing.

When I lived on the wet coast, I watched as more and more land got posted. It wasn't so much that landowners posting and it was 'clubs'. A lot of landowners do not want the irritation of hunters asking permission, or checking vehicles who are on their land. They are busy trying to make a living.
Imagine wasting your time at work chasing guys off the property, especially when they are armed.

Back to the coast. There were groups that formed a club , charged membership fees and then approached landowners with a proposition. The club would provide and install lots of signage, saying hunting by permission only, with a club contact number. They dealt with the permission issue very simply. Join the club, get permission. Not a member , stay out. The members patrolled the areas while they were hunting. Each member had a club sticker for his vehicle, so if a truck was parked, it only took a quick look to see if he was legal. No interruption of hunting. If the vehicle had no sticker, the RCMP were called and charges laid.

It didn't take long before local non members realized there was a lot of people watching them and that there would be charges laid.

I have had to do something similar to this club business you describe.

I have a group of EPS chaps that sort of over look a pasture of mine. They keep fixing my gate that gets torn down and replace the signs that get shot up. Other people looking after my problems I guess. It is kind of nice.