View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 AM

I think if a person is running a rig, towing a lot, towing heavy loads, running excessive miles, etc. a diesel is certainly the way the go and likely worth the additional investment. Bro-in-law as an example is towing a 5th wheel, SxS cargo trailer, a 24ft flat deck trailer with a water container to fill his cistern, and the same trailer for work on occasion to haul materials around. He's towing something almost every week. A HD diesel for a scenario like that is no question worth it. For the guy towing his 5th wheel/boat once a month from May till Sept and using it as daily runner for the remainder, the $10k adder plus the additional maintenance cost... in my opinion not so much.

I am curious to see what Ford and GM are coming up with for diesels for their 1/2 tons in 2018/2019 respectively. GM’s 2.8L diesel in the Canyon/Colorado is supposed to be fantastic but it’s still a ~$4k adder. Not sure what the maintenance costs are like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
I believe with the 6 litre on 2017/18 its the 8 speed transmission that should help out with the fuel mileage for that gearing.
One would think the 8sp would provide better fuel mileage but on the GM 1/2 tons the 8sp actual achieves slightly less mileage than the 6sp by about ~0.5L/100km. Same configuration (engine/axle). Go figure.