View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
the area I was in was a huge series of steep narrow coulees. Couldnt really glass to far or see without climbing up to top of one coulee and looking down into the next. Which at first i was sky lining myself often. After i realized it, i started kinda crawling the tops and looking down. Also the snow was crusted over which was extremely noisey. I have to do some practice shooting at longer distances with the scope now. I am a fairly decent shot and i had shooting sticks with me, just i do not know where this rifle hits at those distances. I will have to test that out next summer. I also learned that my pants and jacket are not up to the task of crawling around in the snow at -15. I will look at some lighter colored camo as you suggested. Im hoping i can draw 118 again in a few years. I will for sure try looking for a general mule next season.
I used to hunt the coulees along the Red Deer River. I found a lot of deer in the steep ones but they were always difficult to get out after the kill. I eventually discovered that there were quite a few deer in the more shallow coulees away from the river. I never walked the edges but would sneak a peek and check out the coulee for as far as I could see and then back off and peek at another location. When you get familiar with an area you will eventually get to know the small hollows that hold deer and the ones where you can approach to closer range.

You may have to wait for a few seasons before you get another antlered tag. I would suggest you apply for an antlerless tag between seasons, unless you have a thing about harvesting a doe. The antlerless tag will allow you to hunt and get familiar with the land that holds the deer. By the time you get your next antlered tag you will be ready.

Another thing you may try is hunting sharpe tailed grouse in those coulees during October.