View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:53 AM

This wolf trapping funding is a tough one, nobody wants to pay for anything that doesn’t directly help them.
Read through the threads. If I live up north why would I want that money going to the south ?, if I live in Red Deer why do I care what happens in High Level ?
Why am I going to give you money when I want to try and be a wolf trapper myself, that’s no fun ?
You want to know how truthfully feasible wolf trapping is for a RFMA holder ? It’s not, not even close. If a trapper lives two hours away from his line that’s a $100 tank of fuel in a full size truck, more if further of course. $20-30 in snowmobile fuel minimum. Now let’s say I own all my traps already and I only spend a couple hundred on snares a year. Add to that wear and tear on trucks and sleds and it’s easily $4-5,000 a year.
Now the biggest cost is time for anybody who isn’t retired. Time trapping, time getting bait, time skinning. What’s a trappers time worth ?

Now don’t get me wrong, we trap because we love it and it’s not for the money. But trapping wolves is a lot of work for very little money and overall a big net loss if you target them specifically.

I trap wolves up north because it makes me money having more moose and Caribou. If it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t put in nearly the effort, because it doesn’t directly affect me like I said above.
Trapping to lose money every trip out because wolves aren’t worth anything doesn’t make sense for most trappers, and here lies the major issue I see with it.

As far as the government paying a bounty, good luck unless you can make it unionized lol