View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM
pelada trochu

with braid you can feel every nibble, pack more on a spool, possibly provide better casting. However, it ends up ripping the lips off the fish when you hook set with that medium heavy rod your using for walleye with 30lb power pro. (you know who you are)

Those bass pro fishermen made braid popular but are in a hurry and use 50lb braid to rip the bass right out of the water. They need to get the next cast in and they usually have alot of structure out there to worry about.

fluoro is invisible and offers an advantage for walleye, etc. but it wont spool worth a *#%*.

I prefer 12lb mono for pike fishing with a leader 18"
I tie a 2 or 3 foot fluoro leader for walleye fishing.

This year im setting up an ultra light with a 500 series reel for my daughter/myself for dedicated walleye fishing, probably 6lb mono (to ease landing). I will find a very nice sensitive and light graphite rod to use. I wont have problems with feel.

Key point here: There is no stretch on braid, you have to use barbless hooks, you end up relying on the bend in the rod to keep the line tight. With 30 yards of mono out there, you have 2 or 3 feet of stretch with a heavy fish. I can fight that fish all day with one hand relaxed without worry of it spitting me off. I do however have to be careful about it running through the weeds, etc. which is why you need to size the line to your fish species and weight (12lb for me). overall ive lost more fish to a spit on braid than structure on mono. Besides, you need a bit of a challenge!

another tip: your side cutters will cut mono like butter and fight on the braid. Try pinching down and then pulling to the side, the braid then cuts through like butter..