View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 09:45 AM

The 6.5 bullets have long been I preferential to the 7's to 300 meters and beyond for a very long time , the first time I ran into this I was very young and was watching my father make 6mm International cartridges for his 300 meter Free rifle .

He explained to me that the Europeans were kicking our butts in 300 meter Free rifle competition because we didn't have a decent 6.5 match bullet and cartridge on the North American market , Because the public wouldn't buy them- the 308 was the best choice for recoil and accuracy .

The 7's eventually got popular as did the 6.5's , but it took the silhouette craze to change that .
For me , it would be a smaller case with a 6.5 bullet unless I was planning to hunt with it as well, then I would go to a larger case .
Competing and informal target shooting are two different things for me, and superiority fir hunting would be the more important equation here for me.
Cat