View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Ci4 have composite housing and are somewhat flexible at the foot, it just doesn't give me confidence. When working 1oz or heavier jig that plastic feel really shows. Great for crankbaits and medium fast rods. Not so much for jiging with fast action rods. The other thing is it is too light and will not balance out, however i like spin rods in 7'6"-9'.
How old is your CI4?

The original model did have some flex in it for sure, but the newer CI4+ and CI4 HGFB are every bit as solid or more solid than any metal reel on the market.

I guess this just goes to show that there truly are different strokes for different folks. I've never heard that before, and I have never in my life thought my CI4 had a "plastic" feel, no matter what size lure I was fishing. I'd also highly recommend the CI4 for jigging applications where you're using Fast or Extra Fast action rods, that's what it was designed for and that's where it really shines in my opinion. The light weight and carbon body make it the perfect reel for finesse techniques that require sensitivity.

To my mind, lighter is always better, but there are several sizes available, with differing weights. Rod balance is a whole other topic...