View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Rav has fished that lake alot and what he says about the populations of larger pike is bang on. I saw him out there all the time - so like him, hate him, whatever, he speaks the truth.

I, too, fished that lake for 20 years, probably 50-60 days a year and it is not the same in terms of quality of pike nor size of pike period. This is inarguable.

I didn't forget to catch pike, I didn't all of a sudden change what I know - the fishery just changed by the hand of man with the introduction of millions of competitors for food.

It is known that even large pike get a significant portion of their food from smaller forage fish, they don't JUST eat big fish, they eat anything as an opportunistic feeder. Yes, they do eat big meals and sit at the bottom of drop and don't expend energy like smaller fish, but they still eat forage.

The bottom line is the introduction of walleye added to the decline of forage for pike leading to more starvation, stunting and a decline in population.

Not 10 years ago, literally, 1 in 10 pike were over 5 lbs and 1 in 20 around that 10 lbs size.

You would catch 100 pike a day.

If you fished for a couple days, you definitely caught a few pike in the 15-16 lbs range and an occasional one at or above 20 lbs.

That isn't the lake anymore.

Sure, there probably a few big pike, but the age/size class is different.

You now catch 100 walleyes, a dozen pike, and 11 of those pike look like they need another sandwich or two.

Not the same. period.
X3

Fact is we have seen this now in what 40 different lakes. Always the same results, manage for walleye and see the pike and perch numbers crash. Other forage fish numbers also down. I guess they must have all had secret power plants on them that were shut down or something.
Sad thing was many people were indeed telling them that what they were doing was having horrific consequences on the ecological balance of the lakes but at least one person was more interested in his PhD and fisheries award than running a good well balanced fishery.