View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 06:57 PM

This is such a tough question to answer because not only are the applications different (deer vs. elk vs. moose vs. birds, etc), but also how each person handles a knife (hand size to fit a handle, arm and hand position, movement, direction when skinning etc.)

I use a Fallkniven NL4 Frey as my belt knife because I LOVE the blade - BUT, when skinning deer or elk out I find the handle a tiny bit narrow, I picked up a Bark River Bravo to try out and I also love the blade on it but the Falkniven is still a tiny bit of a better skinner - UNTIL....

I tried an Esee Izula neck knife and WOW, the blade profile and belly on the blade is incredible for skinning - but short for quartering, lol.

------------

What knives have you got that you like currently? and are you looking for a purpose knife or a decades carry knife?

If its just a purpose knife - I find I often roll deer cleaning with a Mora Bushcraft Black. its always sharp, easy to hone while cutting with the scandi grind edge and I am never afraid to beat on it for any jobs in the woods (things I would NOT do with my other knives).

If I had $200 and was looking for a knife to clean and belt carry, I would grab a Bark River bravo 1, Bark River Aurora or a Grohman - depends on your cutting style and how you like the handle to fit your palm.

Last edited by Coho911; 12-31-2021 at 07:15 PM.