View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 PM

Question Dimples while resizing

Hello

I'm curious. Recently I've been finding that a significant number of cases are being dimpled in the shoulder area while resizing. Especially frequently while running Federal cases through, but I see it with Winchester cases as well, maybe 1 in 20-30 or so. All of this is happening to my .243 WIN cases, I've never seen it in other calibers I have reloaded for. It is as frequently happening with brand new cases I resize before loading.

I know that can happen when too much case lube is used, but I've got it down to VERY little used and still seeing dimples. Very irritating.

1. For now, I'm assuming those cases are ruined. But are they? If I was to reload one, and fire it, it would simply.. blow those dimples out against the chamber, and the case would simply reform to the chamber size... just as happens to the neck of the case during firing, right? Is this necessarily the end of the case?

2. As to the causes of the dimpling... I'm wondering if something is wrong with my resizing dies... (Redding). I've had great service from these dies in other calibers, and I have no idea why this issue with dimpled .243 cases.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks!

Frank