View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywillow View Post
I was always of the same opinion, regarding higher grades if washed and clean. That was right up til last winter when I talked to a neighbour that has been trapping his entire life, and he's in his 60's now... after last yrs sale when there was all that talk about top-lot making $6-hundred something a piece for that handful of coyotes, I got a call from my neighbour and was told those coyotes were his. Or at least a-few had to be, I think there were 8 in that lot and he did say they were his. Anyway. I asked about pelt finishing and what he does to clean them; you won't believe what his answer was...

He scoffed and said he hasn't cleaned them for years. Told me they charge a fee for cleaning that comes off your cheque now (drumming charges) and replied why would I waste my time and make more expense doing it here!? ... I couldn't believe it, but who knows. Hard to argue with a guy who's been shipping for over 40 years. His comments on higher grades had everything to do with how well you flesh & prep it before it ever goes fur-out* Said your handling & prep (there) plus color, is what trumps all. Take it for what ya guys want.

I still do clean the ones of my own that happen to be stained worse than the others from blood (if they are) but now I always hear what he told me ringing in my ears while I'm doing it! Sure makes you wonder.
If it ain't broke don't fix it I say,each to their own,but it will always be a well furred animal,well prepared that will grade higher,if the quality is there in the animal then it will do well IMO.I will always do mine my way,because they are mine.