View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Glad to see people agree with what I did. I actually do have a black bear tag. That's the only reason now I think I should have waiting just a few more seconds to see if it was a blackie or a grizz. But due to being alone and that bear coming out as I was elk calling made me think it was in predator mode and I just didn't want to wait for it to locate me and then maybe charge in. Oh well, it was still an outstanding experience.

I try to be as safe as possible. Wife and a few buddies who know the areas I hunt always know where I am. Let my wife know with a quick text when I am on my way home. She was in tears last year when I was 3 hours later than normal in minus 40. Cell phone died and could not text her that I was staying later.

I do always carry bear spray ( never needed to use it ) and a bowie knife for "close encounters". I don't carry a rifle or shotgun. It's quite funny when people in my office hear about that knife, they give me looks like I'm physcho. But it's the people who know nothing about being in the bush/mountains. Then I show them some of the "critters" out there from my trail cameras and explain at least I have something on my body to grab and fight back with if the bear spray is not affective and I am taken down. Then they realize that it is not just a "red-neck Rambo" piece of decorartion. Hahahaha.

Went back to the same area yesterday afternoon with a hunting buddy, hoping that bear would come back, but no dice. We did however have 2 wt bucks and doe come within 30 yards of us, but busted us before either one of us could draw.

Thanks for the replies and be safe out there. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackBear.jpg (103.4 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg BlackBear_2cubs.jpg (96.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar.jpg (89.6 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Grizz.jpg (55.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg GrizzTracks.jpg (44.2 KB, 270 views)