View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
We could argue all day about the wisdom involved in utilizing tax dollars to subsidize/benefit a billionaire's business. Generally, I tend to disfavor using tax dollars to subsidize private business, from Bombardier to Greyhound's northern routes. However, given how governments spend money these days, federally and locally, I tend to think that a new arena, and by association the Calgary Flames, benefit the city to a much greater degree than the vast majority of non-public works projects council spends money on. For example, a single event hosted last year, the Calgary Flames Charity Golf Classic, raised $400,000 for local charities including Ronald McDonald House, the Calgary Food Bank, and the YWCA. The Flames Foundation isn't limited to a single event however, and once you incorporate the Lottery, Italian Open, Celebrity Poker Tournament, etc. we are talking about millions raised annually for local charities, not to mention visiting sick kids in hospitals, dropping in and practicing with some minor hockey team, the enjoyment thousands get out of watching the team, the hundreds of jobs created, the revenue brought to the city by out of town fans, individual players charities (of one whom recently won a humanitarian award), the inspiration provided to kids to participate in sport, etc. etc. I'm not an economist and can't perform a cost analysis weighting the monetary pros/cons the Flames provide, but I would sure think they provide a greater benefit to the city than a $3 million reno to council's boardroom, the blue orb, the latest rock tower, LED's at Forest Lawn lift station, etc.
Great perspective ....... I completely agree.

Nobody likes being held hostage, and the emotional reaction is to go tell King to stuff it, but, unfortunately, it makes sense in this case given all of the other benefits a pro team brings to Calgary.

And, since the taxpayers are flippin' the bill, why not have a team owned by the taxpayers ?????