Thread: grizzly spotted
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
I have to ask, RE, Grizz...
How do you guys and gals keep the thoughts in the back of your mind when you're in the field. Especially when dressing an animal. Knowing, truthfully there are so many Grizzly out there... I'm a paraplegic, so I always have someone with me yet it is very unnerving to me. Son of gun, even with a few people on hand, they come in totally unafraid, aiming to take what they want.

I admire those who spend days in the field, sleeping under the stars, doing what we all love. Even with 'top of the food chain' hunters out there.
I, myself, when I was younger I was invincible and knew no fear. I used to go fishing alone right where these bears are being seen and sleep under the stars with no tent and no gun or spray. Dressing out a big game animal out there a gun was always propped up within arms reach. Never had a visitor thank heavens.
Now spending anytime in bear country and I become alert and aware just like every other animal. Sleep becomes short semi conscious catnaps with one eye and one ear opened. Hiking with eyes in the back of my head and ears to the ground.

With bears being conditioned to know a gunshot might mean a free supper I think now I, if alone, would carry a 100 watt boom box with some pounding scream metal to play while dressing an animal. And a strobe light.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets