View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Changed the thread title to reflect the environmental concerns of abandoned Ice Shacks on our Alberta Lakes.

I received a prompt and informative reply from my Town Council member, I’m informed this matter falls under the jurisdiction of Alberta Environment and they have the authority to remove the Ice Shacks/Trailers but have not yet done so.

I was provided the following Alberta Environment hotline number 1-800-222-6514 and called them this afternoon, they asked for my contact info/home address phone number and listened to my concerns in respect to mitigating any environmental risks before these trailers are no longer recoverable. Was informed I wasn’t the first to call they have opened a file # 336715 on the matter and have referred it to an Environmental Officer for action. They asked me if I knew if there were any hazardous items on/in the trailers, I suggested there may in fact be, however, could not confirm. I was told if they were still on the lake in 1 week (April 21) to call back and they would put me directly in touch with the Environmental Office responsible for this file.

By posting this information, I’m encouraging other concerned Sylvanlakers and/or A/O members to take the time to call Alberta Environment and encourage them to take action and have these shacks/trailers removed from Sylvan Lake. The trailers are located approx. ½ kilometer or more directly across from the main pier at the town site. Perhaps the more calls they receive the better for concerned residents/anglers. I’m also considering contacting the local reported with Sylvan Lake News.

Furthermore, I intend to approach the new Sylvan MLA candidate’s in the pending Provincial election to introduce a new mandatory registration process for Ice Shack/Huts/Trailers and develop a process to hold owners of the structures abandoned on the lake responsible when they do not remove them by the mandatory established date/time.

In conclusion, it’s not just Backwabbit and my town tax’s to have these removed, were all paying when they are abandoned by irresponsible people/anglers!

Thank you in advance for your support.

Regards

David ... Z-z

Alberta Environment hotline number 1-800-222-6514

Sylvan Lake file # 336715

[IMG][/IMG]