View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
I'd have to disagree that most Calgarians 'just don't care'. That would be an assumption. Why would anyone not want to live in a city that has pro sports teams or exceptional facility's? Pretty good indicator that you've picked a pretty good place to live? Those owners, contrary to what you read on this thread are no dummies, they invest here for a reason, and it's not because most people don't care in Calgary. It's because people want to live here, but start losing the things that people enjoy and you know where that takes your city. As a matter of fact many people I have spoken with claim that's why they chose to live here. I'd still like to see how much of an actual tax increase it would be. People talk on here about they shouldn't have to pay taxes for this or that, I have to pay taxes for a pile of s--- that I will never use or take advantage of , but many other people will, same as the new facility. You may never use it, but many will. ,
I haven't seen any "polls" on how the citizens of Calgary feel, but your position that most Calgarians "care" or really "care enough" to have the city pay for it is also an assumption. Where I work, there are some fans, but also many who don't follow hockey. I also have a couple friends that have given up their season tickets and don't bother any more.

For AO at least, it doesn't appear to me the majority think it should be paid for by the city.

How people think their tax dollars should be spent depends on the individual. I personally prefer more spending on amateur sports, not professional. I personally think that if the city pays for a reasonable portion of the arena they should be entitled to a portion of the revenue stream from the Flames.

But I certainly agree that the owners are not dummies.